Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Thanksgiving stuff

As Thanksgiving was approaching we had fun doing some Thanksgiving activities and learning about the history of Thanksgiving.  I did a 5 day curriculum with the girls about Thanksgiving and we had fun reading Thanksgiving books, doing some simple projects, math sheets, writing etc. that was all about Thanksgiving.  It was geared towards kindergartners but Kaylee had fun joining in!

Making Mayflower boats




The next day we had to try them out!






Pilgrim Hats


Our adding 10 and adding 20 turkeys

Our Blessing Tree.  We cut out each persons hands and then wrote down what we are thankful for or what is a blessing in our life.


We painted pilgrim plates at As You Wish for the homeschool craft that month that the girls got to use for Thanksgiving dinner


Then of course the turkey hands!  Oh the turkey hands.  I shouldn't say that but most of this has been Mom doing this throughout the years and they are not the easiest thing to make.  I remember I did this one year and now the girls look forward to this every year and I have never been able to stop.  I have never reminded them again but they keep asking!!!  And then most of them get left uneaten and after a week I just throw them away.  I just use store bought dough for this, save homemade for Christmas, and they are never that great and the left over pumpkin pie always sounds more appealing.  It is all about the experience and the memories though!  At least now they can do the decorating themselves.  For me it involves tracing everyones hand and then Mom cutting them out neatly to get our template.  Then then I have to carefully trace with a knife on the dough to cut the hands out and carefully try to transfer them to the cookie sheet without loosing too many fingers.  Most of them have to be repaired on the cookie sheet:)  Meanwhile the girls loose interest at about the cutting out of the first hand and then it leaves Mom for this fun project by myself.  I mean, I really don't have anything else I need to be doing the day before Thanksgiving. :)


They sure look forward to the decorating though!!


And lastly our acorn treats.  You just take nutter butters and with chocolate frosting you stick a hershey's kiss on one side and a mini chocolate chip on the other.  These are simple and fun and we also did these a few years  ago!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...