Monday, July 4, 2016

4th of July Flag Cake

Flag Cake

This is definitely a fun cake we see this time of year in magazines or other blogs and there are so many different versions of it.  I was trying to remember but I think I have been making this cake for about 18-19 years.  I know I made it a few times in high school and then in college and all the way up to now!  It was always fun to bring to parties or just have if I was staying home with family.  As I had kids and they have gotten older it has become a fun tradition for them to help with.  It always looks so fancy and patriotic but it is super easy....especially how I do it now!


I always use a pound cake for this cake, I love how light and yummy for summer it tastes with the cool whip.  For the pound cake part I have gone from making the cake from scratch, more so in my before kids young ambitious years :), to life getting a little busier with a kid or two to buying the Betty Crocker pound cake box mix because I still wanted to feel like I MADE the cake, to now for the last few years of buying the frozen pound cake in the freezer section.  To be honest, the freezer cake tastes just as good!  So now that is my simple go to.  The hardest part is just remembering to take it out of the freezer to thaw the night before....but even if you forget, like I have before, it has a quick thaw in the micro option.  Perfect!  

So here is what you will need:



~ A 9x13 pan
~ 2 Frozen Pound cakes
~ A large tub of whipped topping ( you will probably have extra but I always like to have enough)
~ A couple packs of strawberries or a larger size Costco one.
~ A couple packs of blueberries

I always get all the fruit prepped first and put them in bowls.  As I cut the strawberries I separate them out into two bowls.  One bowl I cut the strawberries in little chunks, and one bowl I always cut the best side of the strawberry off for using for the top of my flag.  For each strawberry I usually cut off a good side and then chunk up the rest.  This way I always have enough strawberries for the top and underneath.  Ok now it is time to prep!

Cut each pound cake loaf into about 1/2 inch slices


Next make a layer of cake on the bottom of the pan



Then spread a generous layer of whipped topping over the top


Start adding the cut up strawberries and blueberries...


Keep adding more berries until it looks like this



Then add your second layer of cake.....hopefully your slices will look better then mine. :)

Add another generous layer of cool whip




Then I will section off the blue part of the flag and let the girls have at it!






Then take your beautiful strawberry halves to make the stripes






Don't forget to make great poses with your cake because it looks so awesome and you can't wait to eat it!

I love seeing the yummy layers!

And there you have it!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...