Thursday, November 25, 2010

So Thankful!

This Thanksgiving we have been talking to Kaylee about what we are thankful for. One of our Thanksgiving books talks about how the food, parade, family, and football are all great but most important we need to be thankful to God for all those things that He gave us. After we read our Thanksgiving books I always ask Kaylee what she is thankful for. I am thankful that most of the time she said Mommy. Melt my heart! Annie and her stuffed Reindeer were also thrown in their a lot. And of course Daddy and Lex. :)


Here Kaylee is Thankful that she has these cookies to decorate. Now these are super cute but I have to admit I really tried to not make them. I am ALL about holidays and traditions but I think with 3 of us being sick, so much going on this time of year and trying to fit everything in...and not wanting one more sweet thing for me to eat and for the kids to want to eat, I really tried to ignore this request. We have never made turkey hand cookies before but Kaylee kept seeing the commercial for these on the Nick Jr channel (see what happens when you are all sick and you let you kids watch too much TV) and literally kept begging me to make them. It was so bad...I would say "OK, sounds fun" and just think to myself...I really hope she forgets. That sounds awful I know, but with the dozens of homemade Christmas sugar cookies that are soon to be made, and that tradition will always stick..... and we just had the Halloween sugar cookies that we made.....I am sugar cookied out just thinking about making more. But the requests never ended, and since I am all about making the holidays super fun for the kids I gave in. Lex and I went to the store, colds and all, while Kaylee was at school on Monday and I bought a roll or sugar cookie dough in a package and icing in tubes....that was as creative as I was going to get. Of course the recipe wants you to make the frosting and in a bunch of colors. I bought three colors and that would have to do! Another reason for my reluctance was that making sugar cookies in the shape of your child's hands, while cute, meant that Mom would be tracing and and cutting them very carefully out with a knife. You can't just give your 4 your old a cookie cutter and say have fun. So after tracing both Kaylee and Lexies hands, and cutting out a template of each, I set out to the task of very carefully cutting out little hands out of dough.....I have to say it is very difficult to do this and not loose any fingers. So Kaylee watched me for about all of two hands and then was bored and off playing....an hour or so later I was finally done. Oh sigh....the things you do for your kids!
After dinner while I cleaned up I turned Kaylee loose with 3 tubes of icing, candy corn, and mini chocolate chips. She really had fun decorating. She even came and thanked me afterwords for making the cookies, and for me letting her decorate them all by herself with no help. At least it was all worth it in the end and I had one happy four year old!





They really did turn out cute and it is fun that it is in the shape of the girls hands. Maybe next year I won't be so grumpy from a cold. :)




Here are some of the people that I am most thankful for.....













....and I am also thankful for my Christmas tree that was put up on Sat Nov 20. I love how it can be pulled out of a bag and put together in three pieces lights and all! I am also so thankful that for the first time ever I finally have a front living room where I can put my Christmas tree right in front of the window. I have always loved driving by peoples houses at Christmas time and seeing the tree in the front window. Oh the little things!


We hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...